Friday, July 2, 2010

The Kohlrabi Challenge!

I don't often use my mandoline.  The truth is that it frightens me.  I imagine my hand slipping, or the food slipping, or the whole contraption slipping, resulting in me losing my fingertips on that ridiculously sharp blade.




Mandoline: Scary





                                                               Mandolin: Not Scary









But I was dealing with the dilemma of kohlrabi.

Last year was the first time I had ever seen or eaten kohlrabi. I wrote about it here. According to last summer's report, kohlrabi was a rather inconclusive victory, although I recall it as a failure. Everyone ate the roasted kohlrabi that night, but there was a lot left over, and , if I recall correctly, I eventually threw the leftovers away.
This year the Fort Hill Farm newsletter had a recipe for kohlrabi potato gratin, and it seemed a better bet. Hence, the mandoline came out.
 

Potato and Kohlrabi Gratin
Recipe by Eberhard Muller


3 oz. Sliced bacon, sliced crosswise                    2 cups heavy cream
into thin strips                                                     2 TBSP crème fraiche or sour cream
½ garlic clove, minced                                        ½ tsp minced thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper                 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
2 med. kohlrabi, peeled


Preheat oven to 300. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
In a small skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until barely crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the heavy cream, crème fraiche, garlic and thyme. Season the cream generously with salt and pepper.
Using a mandoline, thinly slice the potatoes and kohlrabi, then add to the cream and toss to mix. Spread the potatoes, kohlrabi, and cream in an even layer in the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 325 and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is browned. Let the gratin stand for 10 minutes before serving.

The mandoline is wonderful for making perfectly thin, uniform slices of potato and kohlrabi.  It is fast and efficient, and I still have all 10 fingertips. 

The casserole itself was also a success.  Everyone (except Zach) ate it heartily.  I served it with baked chicken drumsticks, crusty bread and some broccoli, also from the farm. 

The moral of the story:  When in doubt, add bacon and cream to the questionable veg.

3 comments:

  1. You had me at bacon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might find it easier and less messy to first add the potatoes and kohlrabi in layers and then pour cream over them. The liquid will find all the crevices to coat the solids well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. V...you are correct. I published the recipe as found on the Fort Hill Farm website, but I tend to do things my own way to avoid the slop.

    ReplyDelete