Friday, July 3, 2009

My Favorite Sandwich (If you don't include burgers, pastrami or Philly steak and cheese)

We went to the carnival at our church last night, so I didn't cook at home. You know, support the church and all by dropping 100+ dollars on unlimited ride bracelets, carnival games, raffle tickets, pizza fritte (fried dough or "elephant ears" to those who don't live in the northeast), and food donated by the local restaurants. In the spirit of increasing vegetable intake, I chose the $4.00 eggplant Parmesan grinder donated by Mona Lisa here in Newtown. Fantastic! But that isn't the sandwich I am thinking about.

I figure that if I'm going to get through that whole big box of veggies before the next one arrives on Wednesday, I'm going to have to cook some for lunch, too. So today I made my favorite veggie sandwich with the purplette onions, yellow squash and 1 zucchini from my share. The recipe couldn't be easier. I slice one onion (or part of a large onion) a small zucchini, and yellow squash nice and thin, and I sautee them in a bit of butter and olive oil. I add a generous shake from the salt shaker, and and even more generous shake from the pepper shaker, and let it cook till it looks good: not too soggy, not too crunchy. Throw an appropriate amount of the mess onto a kaiser roll with a slice of cheese, and you have a delicious sandwich!

My favorite type of cheese for this sort of sandwich is the Land O' Lakes white American cheese from the deli (NOT the individually wrapped slice crap). I know American cheese sounds terribly lowbrow, but I think those who pan it based upon their experiences with velveeta and the like, are overly self-important and afraid to admit what's really good. But I decided to veer off of my usual course and use a bit of leftover goat cheese. Tangy goodness, different from the usual.

I was also lacking in the kaiser roll department, so I made do with a little bit of leftover sourdough sliced bread toasted up and buttered. When in doubt, add a little butter. Yummy sandwich!

By the way, if you find you've made more than will fit on one sandwich, it tastes just as good the next day heated up.

No comments:

Post a Comment