Sunday, July 5, 2009

In Which I Hide Bitter Greens in All Sorts of Foods, Part II

In my last post I lamented the arugula problem with my family, but I invented a way to use it, and by "use it" I really mean "hide it" in a popular food treatment. Here's the plan: my guys all love Indian food, although the kids don't know it, yet. If I don't tell them it's Indian, they eat it happily.

So I take some skinless, boneless chicken thighs and dredge them in a mixture of flour, a bit of salt, and a healthy dose of Tandoori Seasoning from Penzy's. I then fry them lightly (by lightly, I mean until they are browned, not completely cooked) in a mix of butter and canola oil. If you have an oven-proof skillet, that's the pan you should use. When all the thighs are browned nicely, remove them while you add some chopped onions (I used the purplette onions from the CSA). Normally, I would add some sliced red and green bell peppers, as well, but they are not in season in Connecticut, so I did not add them. When the onions (and peppers if applicable) are looking good and cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes. I also added a whole bunch of washed arugula at this point. It wilted up nicely. Return the thighs to the pan, pop a lid on top and throw the whole mess into the oven at 3oo-325 degrees for about 40 minutes. Serve it on plain rice, and it is delicious. No one noticed the arugula, because the chicken was so tender, and it all tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment