Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It's Just Too Much

I am taking an intensive 2-week graduate level class, which is great, but it is seriously interrupting my ability to cook and plan meals around the vegetable mass in my fridge. The class is funded by a grant, and one of the perks is lunch being served each day. Not only am I not home to work on eating my way through all those greens, but I'm not packing them in a lunchbox, either. On top of that, I get home a little late to spend a lot of time on preparing tasty and creative meals.
Last night, when the kids and I got home it was nearly 6 o'clock, so I went with the easy standby of pasta and a jar of marinara. I jazzed up the sauce a bit with parsley and basil to help me plug my way through those big bunches of herbs. I also made a big salad with the head of red-leaf lettuce, some scallions and the hot-house tomato. The kids stared at the lettuce a bit, but after tasting it and determining that it wasn't bitter at all, they ate quite well.
Part of the problem with the excess has been my husband's physical difficulties in getting used to our vegetable enriched diet. Rich has been going around singing "Salad Shooter" every morning on his way to the bathroom. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you can check out this link: salad shooter video I have to admit, there is a great deal of pressure in preparing and eating so many vegetables in a short amount of time. We aren't giving up. Tomorrow I'll tell you all about the beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment